The Gilford Islands
A short history
In the early settlement of Gilford, the Gilford Islands were generally ignored except for the logging of mast pines used in the ship building industry. Later farmers would clear the islands to pasture their sheep, cows and pigs during the summer months. In the 1850’s the railroad arrived in Gilford and with it came tourists who were looking for peace and tranquility. By the early 1900’s camps were appearing on the islands as people happily enjoyed the beauty of their natural surroundings.* Today many families enjoy island living and a whole cottage industry exists to support island life.
* Although Governor's Island is in Gilford, it is bridged and has more in common with the mainland.
*The Gunstock Parish, A History of Gilford New Hampshire, by Adair D. Mulligan, Phoenix Publishing, 1995
News & Events JUN 24th
12 Hour Dock Needs Repair
The end of the 12 hour dock at Glendale is closed because of safety issues. The town is working to hire someone to reparir the dock. Alternate arrangements have been made for more 12 hour spaces on the 3 hour dock. Signage marks the changes. . Click on "Read More" for the details
Read More Read ALL
NH Lakes News